Once a parcel of land is identified as being likely to contain oil sand, mineral rights for that specific area are purchased from either private owners or the Provincial Crown via Alberta Energy. This is the beginning of the Tenure process.

Land is leased via Public Offerings every two weeks. Bids can be submitted through the Electonic Tranfer System (ETS).

Well License
At any time following the purchase of mineral rights, a well license can be obtained.

A well license allows you to begin production immediately. All production from Crown Rights is subject to payment of royalties.

With a well license secured, detailed exploration can begin. This can include:

  • Seismic assessment
  • Drilling

The Canadian Association of Oilwell Drilling Contractors (CAODC) produces daily, weekly and monthly rig countsexternal link icon.