Coal Reporting Requirements

Coal Leasing Requirements

There are two types of coal leases in Alberta:

  • Coal Lease: A coal lease has a 15 year term and is renewable. It grants the exclusive right to work, win and recover coal in the described location. Depending on the circumstances, a successful coal lease application may lead to an agreement being issued directly to the applicant, or may result in competitive bidding (land sale.) A coal lease does not include the rights to the coal in any road allowances.
  • Coal Lease in a Road Allowance: A coal lease in a road allowance has a 15 year term and is renewable. It grants the right to the coal in a road allowance. This type of lease is required before mining through a road allowance. It is only available to the holder of a mine permit or license in that location. Mine permits and licenses, which provide approval to develop or mine coal, are issued through the Alberta Energy Regulator under the Coal Conservation Act.

Coal leases are subject to the following legislation and policies:

  • Mines and Minerals Actexternal link icon - Parts 2 and 3 of the Mines and Minerals Act pertain specifically to coal leasing.
  • Mines and Minerals Administration Regulationexternal link icon
  • Coal Conservation Actexternal link icon  coal lessee requires a Mine Permit and a Mine License to develop a mine in the location of a lease. Approval for development and mining is administered by the Alberta Energy Regulator.
  • 1976 Coal Development Policy for Alberta
  • Integrated resource plans, policies, and any local restrictions set by the Government of Alberta under the Mines and Minerals Act and other legislation.
  • Information Letters relating to Mineral Rights Acquisition

Coal Royalty Reporting Requirements

  • Coal Royalty Regulationexternal link icon - Under the Mines and Minerals Act, this regulation specifies the requirements  to report and pay royalties on coal produced from the location of a coal lease.
  • Coal Royalty Guidelines and Policies - These Guidelines and polices provide additional information on reporting under the Coal Royalty Regulation.
  • Information Letters - The Information Letters provide further interpretation under the Mines and Minerals Act and the Coal Royalty Regulation.