Coal Reporting Instructions
Applying for A Coal Lease
An application for a coal lease or coal lease in a road allowance should be submitted, along with payment, to the Coal and Mineral Development Unit in Edmonton or Alberta Energy's Calgary Information Centre (see Contacts.)
- Application Method: Please use the Coal Lease Application Form provided on this site to apply for both types of lease. Applications may be submitted in person, by mail or by fax, accompanied with payment by cheque, money order or credit card (Visa).
- Application Fees: Applications for both types of agreements must be accompanied by the $625.00 application fee, the first year's rent. plus GST as applicable. For a coal lease, the first year's rent is $3.50 per hectare (minimum $50.00.) For a coal lease in a road allowance, the first year's rent is $50.00.
Amending a Coal Lease
A lessee or their designated representative may request changes to a lease, such as changing the ownership of an agreement or reducing the area of the lease.
- A change of ownership of an agreement is administered by Alberta Energy's Transfers and Encumbrances Unit. This may be done online through the E-Transfers service on this site (see Online Services) or by submitting a completed form (see Forms).
- For further instructions on changing the ownership of a lease, please refer to the Transfer Form Guidelines.
- Changes to the area of an a lease may be requested in writing to the Coal and Mineral Development Unit (see Coal - Contacts).
- Request to cancel or renew a lease may be requested in writing to the Coal and Mineral Development Unit (see Coal - Contacts).
Reporting Coal Royalties
- Please follow the instructions provided in the Coal Royalty Guidelines (see Requirements.)
- Royalty reports may be submitted by mail, fax or email to the Coal and Mineral Development Unit (see Coal - Contacts.)
- Royalties may be paid by cheque or direct deposit (Electronic Funds Transfer).
- If payment and the report are submitted separately, please provide the payment method, date and applicable transaction codes along with the royalty report.