Soldier Settlement Board

The Soldier Settlement Board (SSB) came into being in 1917 with the mandate to provide land for returning WW1 veterans. The veteran would acquire title to the surface, but the minerals were reserved in the SSB name and administered by the Government of Canada. In 2001, Alberta Justice filed a Statement of Claim on behalf of Alberta Energy for the SSB minerals and revenues earned by Canada on those minerals since October 1, 1930, the effective date of the Natural Resources Transfer Act (NRTA). Alberta believed the SSB minerals should have passed to the province pursuant to section 1 of the NRTA.

Alberta and Natural Resources Canada have negotiated the Settlement Agreement for the transfer of minerals and associated mineral leases from Canada to Alberta on April 1, 2010. The Settlement Agreement provides to Alberta:

  • the transfer and control of 265 other federally-owned mineral titles and 7 associated mineral leases;

  • the transfer and control of 212 SSB mineral titles and 89 associated mineral leases; and

  • a cash settlement of approximately $31.5 million.

Information Bulletin 2010-01external link icon

Map - SSB and HMQC mineral parcelsexternal link iconSSB mineral titlesPDF iconMonarchy of Canada mineral titlesPDF icon
HMQC lands are non-SSB mineral rights owned and administered by Canada.



 Excel icon   Gas Remittance Form

This form must be completed for gas royalties, it must be accompanied by payment must be submitted before the 25th day of the month following the production month to which it applies. Email the Gas SSG number.

 Excel icon   Oil Remittance Form 

Oil royalties and payment are required to be completed and remitted no later than the 25th day of the month following the production month to which it applies.

Oil SSO number, call Dennis Autur 780-638-1349
Please clearly identify the amount applicable to oil vs. gas if payment is made on one cheque. All Soldier Settlement Board payments for gas and oil wells should include the appropriate account number (SSG or SSO and Client ID) referenced on the remittance/invoice. The completion and submission of this form in conjunction with any payment(s) due to the Government of Alberta ensures that your SSB lease account is current, accurate, complete and congruent with the terms and conditions prescribed within each lease agreement.  A payment without the above completed form will be returned to the company/individual.

 Word icon PDF icon Transfer Form

Transfers of registered interest in a Federal SSB lease cannot be submitted electronically using the Electronic Transfer System (ETS). This transfer form is used to process the manual submission of a transfer for a Federal SSB lease.

 Word icon
PDF icon 
Transfer Transmittal Letter 

This letter accompanies the transfer form for a Federal SSB lease when a transfer is manually submitted. 


Frequently Asked Questions


What happens if I have an existing petroleum and natural gas (P&NG) lease with Canada?

Alberta has agreed to honour existing leases that were issued by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) for the minerals in the transferred lands. Following the transfer of title from Canada to Alberta, disposition holders will receive a letter from Natural Resources Canada advising them of the change in ownership. The letter will contain details about the transfer and provide contact information at Alberta Department of Energy (department). The department will be responsible for administering the current federal disposition.

Can I replace my existing federal lease with a standard Alberta lease?

Yes, you can replace your existing federal (NRCan) lease with a standard Alberta P&NG lease agreement. Please contact the department about the process. 

How do I pay the rent for my existing NRCan lease?

SSB leases, identified by Agreement type 041, are included on the monthly statement process.

When were the SSB and HMQC lands not subject to a federal disposition made available for the public offering process?

Lands were offered for posting on June 2, 2010. Requests were made for the September 29, 2010 public offering. 

Is there opportunity to apply for SSB or HMQC lands by a direct purchase?

Yes, you may apply for a direct purchase if you qualify under the requirements AND if the parcel meets the conditions for a portion of land direct purchase. The applicant must control the freehold rights in the balance of the spacing unit and the former SSB or HMQC lands must be less than 50% of the smallest applicable spacing unit for the land. If the parcel does not qualify, the rights may be posted in the first available public offering.

How do I renew my expiring SSB lease and do I submit the fee with my application?

Prior to expiry, submit:

  • A letter requesting renewal and indicate what your renewal is based on (i.e. identify a specific well, a Unit Agreement, etc.)

  • Data to support your application, similar to what you submit for a standard Alberta P&NG mineral agreement continuation application (i.e. production reports, technical mapping, etc.)  If renewal is based on a Unit Agreement, no data is required.

The rental and renewal fee does not need to be submitted with your renewal application. If the lease is renewed the department will request the rental and $25 renewal fee at that time.

What happens if there are SSB or HMQC lands in the same spacing unit as an existing Alberta Crown P&NG lease?

If the circumstances are fitting, the lessee will be given the opportunity to consolidate the rights into the existing Alberta P&NG agreement. 

Can I acquire any complementing undisposed Crown Petroleum or Natural Gas rights?

Yes, we will allow the purchase of complementing rights where available, under your federal agreement. 

I wish to convert my Federal SSB leases. Do I have to re-acquire the rights by public sale? Do I have to suspend my producing well?

No, you will not be required to compete at a land sale.  However, you will be required to submit an application for a Direct Purchase via our ETS system for the rights held under your Federal SSB lease. If you have a producing well you are not required to suspend your well. An approval under 54(5) of the Mines and Minerals Actexternal link icon is granted to allow you to continue operations.

Is the administration of Federal SSB leases and Alberta P & NG Agreements different?

Agreement Types  Administrative Differences

 No change

  • Pay Renewal and Transfer fees ($25 transfer fee for each lease) 
  • Cannot do business via the Electronic Transfer System (ETS)
  • No severance of mineral rights
  • Maintain two types of agreements (Federal vs AB P& NG Agreements)
  • No Reinstatement provision upon cancellation of agreements
  • If you have questions about the administration of your federal lease, you can call Kerry-Lynne Kryvenchuk Tenure Branch 780-644-4817.
 AB P&NG Agreement
  • Consistency in administration
  • No Fee for Continuation and Transfer
  • Rental is lower amount of $3.50p/ha
  • Can do business via the Electronic Transfer System (ETS)
  • Severance of shallow and deeper mineral rights will apply upon agreement expiry
  • Reinstatement provisions apply with payment of $5000.00 where applicable

Can I transfer a registered interest in an SSB lease through ETS?

No, you must manually submit an SSB Transfer Form, an SSB Transfer Transmittal Letter, and $25 transfer fee for each lease.  SSB transfer documents are available on the tenure forms page.



If I choose an Alberta Lease, how will the oil royalties be calculated?

If you choose an Alberta lease, oil royalties will be subject to the current oil royalty formulae and will be payable in kind. 

If I choose to continue with the federal lease, how will the oil or gas royalties be calculated?

If you choose to remain under the federal lease, the calculation will be made according to the lease agreement until the lease expires but you will pay royalties to the Government of Alberta. 

If I choose an Alberta Lease, will my royalties be less than under the federal Lease?

If you choose an Alberta lease, oil and gas royalties will be subject to the current Alberta royalty formulae.  It cannot be determined if the royalties will be less than the federal lease until the Alberta royalty is calculated.

Note: Once an Alberta lease is issued, it will not be possible to switch back to a federal Lease.