Responsible Actions: A Plan for Alberta’s Oil Sands
Alberta’s oil sands offer tremendous economic opportunity for the province and the country. The Government of Alberta’s vision for responsible oil sands development involves responsible management of this valuable resource in a way that protects the environment, optimizes economic growth and future development, and enhances the lives of Albertans now and in the future
Responsible Actions: A Plan for Alberta’s Oil Sands outlines an integrated approach for all levels of government, for industry, and for communities to address the economic, social and environmental challenges and opportunities in the oil sands regions. In the near term, it identifies priority actions, some of which are already underway, to address immediate challenges associated with oil sands development. The plan also looks to the future to guide long-term investment in social and physical infrastructure and innovative technology, and to reduce the environmental footprint associated with oil sands development.
This 20-year plan was based on extensive stakeholder consultations described in Investing in our Future: Responding to the Rapid Growth of Oil Sands Development, the Multistakeholder Committee Final Report, and the Aboriginal Consultation Final Report. Responsible Actions also builds on existing Alberta government policies, programs, and initiatives, particularly theProvincial Energy Strategy and Land-use Framework. Regular reporting on the Government of Alberta’s progress in achieving our vision will occur and will provide accountability in helping us reach our goals.
- Responsible Actions: A Plan for Alberta’s Oil Sands (3MB)ISBN 978-0-7785-8054-6
- The Implementation Plan details a number of desired outcomes for each of the six strategies laid out in Responsible Actions and reinforces effective planning. The implementation plan is coordinated with provincial and regional initiatives and provides guidance to the Government of Alberta’s Land-use Framework with respect to responsible and sustainable development in the oil sands areas.
- Responsible Actions, Responsible OilA short summary of Responsible Actions and current projects.
- Questions and answers about Responsible Actions A Plan for Alberta’s Oil Sands
- News Release, Province outlines long-term development plan for Alberta’s oil sands(February 12, 2009)
High resolution map of the oil sands regions: jpg / eps (for download only)
Annual Progress Reports
The Annual Progress Reports highlight key activities from the each past year from over 50 projects and initiatives that work towards the development of Alberta’s oil sands in a responsible and sustainable way, while supporting research and innovation, and clean, healthy and vibrant communities in the oil sands regions.