Department of Energy Key Initiatives
On September 17th Premier Prentice assigned Minister Oberle's mandate letter .
The following priority initiatives were set for Energy:
- Expand Alberta's access to key global markets for energy commodities and products and work collaboratively with partners to develop strategies that address issues and barriers and understand social license challenges within key markets and jurisdictions;
- Lead Alberta in the development of an energy strategy that provides energy security, contributes to economic growth and prosperity, and embodies a high standard of environmental and social responsibility;
- Work with Albertans, communities, governments and industries to develop strategic and integrated polices and plans for sustainable energy and mineral development;
- Enable research based partnerships with energy focused institutions and Alberta Innovates - Energy and Environment Solutions;
- Evaluate whether major projects in Alberta are profitable compared to competing investment options given global cost inflation, and identify opportunities that may attract investment;
- Continue the development of the electricity framework in Alberta to ensure that consumers are served with reliable, reasonably priced electricity in a sustainable manner; and
- Work with industry and other stakeholders to support the production of higher value energy products from raw resources.
- Energy strategies
- Regional Plans under the Land Use Framework
- Research and Technology reports, some in partnership with Alberta Innovates - Energy and Environment Solutions
- Bitumen Royalty-In-kind
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Oil Sands Strategic Plan