The Hydrocarbon Upgrading Task Force (HUTF)
In 2004, an industry/government Task Force (the HUTF) was established to explore synergies and opportunities within the refining and petrochemical industries.
Two studies were initiated:
- Integration - assess the product integration opportunities for feedstocks, petrochemicals, fertilizers, syngas and electricity with bitumen upgrading and refining in Alberta.
- Best Practices - review successful integrated hydrocarbon clusters in various jurisdictions around the world to identify competitive gaps for Alberta.
The HUTF developed the business case for adding value to bitumen for new refining capacity and as a source of petrochemical feedstock. The task force consisted of 119 members from 85 organizations representing government and industry (including oil sands producers, refiners, and petrochemical stakeholders).
Connections to Other Provincial Initiatives
The HUFT is consistent with both the Provincial Energy Strategy (August 2009) and Responsible Actions: A Plan Alberta’s Oil sands (February 2009) in its outcomes and deliverables.
Key shared deliverables:
- Extend Alberta’s role in the oil sands value-chain through the development of value-added upgrading, refining, and petrochemical facilities.
- Increase Alberta’s oil sands international market access
- Ensure oil sands development enhances Alberta’s knowledge-based and higher value export economies
HUTF presentations and related resources:
- Alberta Midstream Chemical Cluster Site Requirements Study - FdP Associates (October 2009)
- Alberta Bitumen Processing Integration Study - David Netzer and Associates (March 2006)
- Oil Sands Products Analysis for Asian Markets - Purvin & Gertz Inc. (April 2005)
- Phase II Report - Refined Products and Petrochemicals from Bitumen - Purvin & Gertz Inc., CMAI Inc. (December 2004)
- Phase I Summary - Bitumen to Refined Products and Petrochemicals - Purvin & Gertz Inc. (April 2004)
- Petrochemicals from Oil Sands - T.J. McCann and Associates (July 2002)
- Hydrocarbon Upgrading Task Force - March 2007
- Hydrocarbon Upgrading Task Force - June 2007
- Hydrocarbon Upgrading Demonstration Program (HUDP)-Update
- Action Plan Update
- Study of Environmental Benefits of Industrial Integration
- IEEJ Asia Market Study for Oil Sands and Products
- Gasification Chair at University of Saskatchewan
- PTAC-Upgrading, Refining, Petrochemical and Hydrogen Technologies
- Capital Region Integrated Infrastructure Planning
- Hydrocarbon Upgrading Task Force - October 2007
- Hydrocarbon Upgrading Task Force - May 2008